Are you ready to meet up with other moms and kids? Setting up and prepping for a playdate doesn’t need to be complicated or take a lot of time. Check out our top 7 tips on planning your next playdate.
7 Steps to the Perfect Playdate
- Talk to your child about who they would like over for a playdate. Keep your eyes are ears open for who your child interacts with at school, activities, social groups, and religious groups. Having similar interests is certainly a bonus.
- Arrange the date. This may be a daunting task, but try to get creative with timing and what works best with schedules. Typically set a timeframe for 1-2 hours. Having a clear start and end time with a count down before leaving helps with transitions.
- Start where they are comfortable. It could be our own home, friend’s home, the park, or the playground. Just make sure that the kids are in a safe and positive environment, whatever the setting.
- Keep it small. It may be overwhelming with a large group of children planning a get-together. If possible, try to set the group to just one family. This way, both of you can have meaningful conversations.
- Prep a couple of activities. Pick a couple of activities or games that the children might want to do together. Legos, blocks, art time, making a snowman, kicking the soccer ball, or playing in leaves.
6. Step back. When it is appropriate and safe, take a step back and let the children play. Keep those site lines and check ever so often on how the kids are doing. If the kids are in a disagreement, try to let them figure a solution out.
7. Be ready with a snack. Prepare a light snack and drink. Check before for any allergies. If you are feeling creative, you can have the little ones help make the snack such as a fruit salad, ants on a log, Chex mix, or even cookies.
So let’s get some playdates on the calendar! We truly hope you can use these top 7 tips for planning your next play date in real life. Push yourself to invite the new child in class or the neighbor that lives a few doors down. Step outside of your comfort zone and build great long-lasting friendships!