The holiday season is here! Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, and the Buddhist Day of Enlightenment all bring special traditions. There are more than 15 international holidays that take place in December alone! And for many of these holidays, gift giving is in order. If you’re in need of gift ideas, take a look at these five non-traditional gifts that will warm your heart, can help the environment, and will put smiles on the faces of those receiving them.
The gift of an experience goes a long way. This can be for things someone has wanted to do for a long time or even for something they already use regularly. Here are some great experience gift ideas:
- Memberships: Support local such as Potter Park Zoo, Impression 5, RE Olds Transportation Museum.
- Subscriptions: Consider all of the things you have on subscription like streaming services or grocery delivery.
- Movie Passes: NCG Movie Theater and Celebration Theater both offer gift cards.
- Concert Tickets: Locally, support the Wharton Center.
- Plant a Tree in the rainforest through the National Forest Foundation or Trees for the Future.
- Have a star named after someone.
- Meditate or pray for others.
- Offer a spiritual bouquet or send gifts from recyclable materials.
- Support your favorite local restaurants and get a gift card.
- Make a special dessert or a favorite freezer meal for loved ones.
In our family, the kids bake cookies to hand out to their school teachers. It is a way they can be a part of the gift giving process. Donations
Monetary donations are wonderful, however you can also donate your time and energy to help at events/meetings that these organizations offer.Here are some of my favorite nonprofits local to the Lansing area:
- Hannah’s House
- Woldumar Nature Association
- The Kids Repair Program
- Advent House
- Greater Lansing Food Bank
- Helping Women Period
- Tomorrow’s Child
- Homemade Christmas ornaments
- Coupon books
- Home decor
- Clothing projects
- Holiday potpourri